How To Clean Your Wax Jacket
Wax jackets are great for all outdoor activities and can last for years and years providing they are cared for in the right way. In this blog Butlerz will be offering our top tips on how to clean your wax jacket effectively to make sure it carries on protecting you from the elements.
Cleaning Your Wax Jacket
Regular cleaning not only enhances the appearance of your garment, but removes dust and dirt, that can lead to premature wear. It also prevents dirt from building up on the garment and becoming irremovable stains.
It is a good idea to take care of your wax jacket between professional cleans to help maintain it. There are a number of simple things you can do to help keep your jacket clean and reduce the risk of damage:
- Remove dried mud, sand and grit using a soft brush after a muddy walk, particularly along inner sleeve seams, as these are the abrasion points.
- Sponge wipe with cold water only. If the dirt is ground into the garment, then gently brush it off with a soft bristled brush and then rinse. Do not use warm water or chemicals, as this can cause permanent damage to the fabric
- Hang to dry naturally for at least 24 hours in a dry, well-ventilated area. Make sure the jacket is completely dry before storing it away.
- It is important to make sure the jacket is stored in a place that does not expose it to UV light and it is kept at room temperature
- If you notice that the coat is drying out from exposure to the elements and is developing uneven shiny or dry areas where moisture no longer beads, then this is good indicator the garment needs re-waxing & re-proofing. This is also required if the jacket starts to smell, which can often happen when stored in damp outbuildings.
- Butlerz recommend having your wax jacket professionally cleaned at least once a year to get the most from your garment.
- Never wash your jacket in the washing machine – unless you want to bugger up the jacket and washing machine!
- Once your jacket comes back from being cleaned and re-waxed allow the wax to mature for a week or two. This is normal with a standard liquid wax.
Wax Jacket Reproofing
Be warned that re-waxing’s not for the faint hearted. It involves warming the wax in a pan of hot water until fully softened. You must then allow at least 2 hours to rub the wax laboriously into the material with a soft cloth.
Care must be taken to make sure the wax is rubbed into all the nooks and crannies, especially the seams, crease points and wear points. The garment must then be dried all over with a hairdryer.
Butlerz provide an expert wax jacket reproofing service ensuring that your jacket is reproofed effectively.
Wax Jacket Repair Service
Butlerz provide an excellent wax jacket repair service for minor alterations of tears and holes as well as:
- Shortening or lengthening of sleeves
- Shortening or lengthening of the jacket itself
- Fitting a new zip
Take Care of Your Jacket & It Will Take Care of You
If you take good care of your wax jacket, then it will continue to protect you from the elements and will last for years. It is a good idea to take care of your jacket yourself in between having it professionally cleaned by wax jacket cleaning experts.
Butlerz provide professional wax jacket cleaning. Our expert team have years of experience cleaning, reproofing and repairing wax jackets from a number of brands including Barbour®, Schoffel® and Outback®.
At Butlerz, we aim to make things as convenient as possible for you. We offer a reliable free collection and delivery service in Surrey and Hampshire or you can make use of our national wax jacket cleaning service via our safe and secure postal service.